Paget Rangers Against Racing Club Warwick

Match Report: Paget Rangers 1-4 Racing Club Warwick

Boxing Day blues for the Bears

Paget Rangers were left with Boxing Day blues as Racing Club Warwick recorded a 4-1 victory at the Central Ground on Coles Lane.

It could have been predicted that Paget were in for a tough afternoon when Luke Holmes conceded a silly free-kick, in the second minute, instead of passing the ball back. Conal Dowling did well to tip Daniel Bartle’s effort over the bar.

Minutes later a defensive scramble saw Kory Burke given a golden opportunity at the near post to give the Bears an early lead, but there was little time for Burke to react and he sent the ball wide.

Paget had another great chance just moments after Burke’s miss, Nathan Corry tore through the Racing Club Warwick defence on the left side before pulling the ball back for Ross Dempster, but it was just out of reach for the Wee Gers’ in-form forward.

In the 10th minute a Racing free-kick was lofted into the box and Joshua Cole missed a great chance to open the scoring for the visitors with a poor header at the near post.

As the half progressed it was even game, and the Paget team looked a lot better at matching the visitors, than in the reverse fixture at the start of the season.

The visitors could have taken the lead around the half-hour mark but Josh McPherson did well to block Ben Mackey at the near post.

With almost 10 minutes before the break the home side felt they should have been awarded a penalty when Burke’s run into the the box was curtailed by Trayvon Passey pulling him back.

Only two minutes later and the Racers were lucky to have all 11 men on the pitch, Alex Price lost possession in the middle of the park and then immediately went to ground with his studs up catching Jack Jenkins who was sweeping up possession.

A couple of good chances for Paget passed, and the Bears would rue the missed opportunities as two minutes into time added on Bartle made space for himself in the Paget box, before smashing the ball in off the post.

Looking to capitalise on scoring a morale boosting late first half goal, Warwick came out strong. Marc Passey confidently had a long range shot on goal before Ben Mackey netted from close range.

It only took the home side five minutes to pull one back when Dempster headed in from a free-kick.

However, disaster struck for Paget when the Racers’ captain Luke Cole smashed it in at the near post. The visitors took control and eventually Cole netted Warwick’s fourth and final goal with just over 10 minutes left on the clock.