Paget Featured Image

Match Report: Paget Rangers 3-2 Nuneaton Griff

The Bears Complete the Double Over Struggling Nuneaton Side

Paget Rangers returned from another break to overcome relegation threatened Nuneaton Griff with 3-2 win.

The Bears started strongly, and John Flanagan could’ve put the hosts in front within the second minute but his effort was just wide.

Despite a strong start for the Wee Gers, they found themselves a goal down after the seventh minute, when a through ball from Matt Rawlins found Charlie Morris who fired home. Calls for offside fell on death ears, and as VAR hasn’t reached the MFL Division 1 yet, the goal stood.

Paget continued to have most of the possession, with chances for John Dodd, but it was Taylor Byrne in the 30th minute who looked most likely to score when he dispossessed¬†Ellis Whiteman, before noticing Griff’s goalkeeper was off his line, but Byrne’s lob went just over the bar. Minutes later Nathan Corry’s long shot was pushed over the bar.

With half-time approaching the Bears finally found drew level, after a Paget corner was cleared Craig Evans received the ball on the edge of the box, before firing into the bottom corner.

Nuneaton had a great chance to equalise just two minutes later after gaining a free-kick in a good position, but Rawlins sent it over. Moments later, Flanagan was through on goal but his shot was saved for a corner, before Byrne saw his effort saved.

A great run from Flanagan didn’t materialise in a goal and the teams went into the break level.

The Heartlanders came out strong, but it was Flanagan who had the first real chance of the game but saw his header saved. Minutes later the Bears were in front when Evans returned the Griff’s goalkeeper clearance into the path of Michael Wright, who beat his defender and poked the ball into the net.

A vital clearance from Luke Hennessy kept the Wee Gers in front, and minutes later Evans chipped the ball into the top corner from the edge of the box giving the Bears a 3-1 lead in spectacular fashion.

With less than 10 minutes to go the away side were awarded a penalty after Morris went down in the box, Connor Wright stepped up and sent the Paget keeper the wrong way to reduce the deficit.

Nuneaton chased a vital equaliser, but couldn’t find a way through despite over six minutes of added time.