Match Report: Paget Rangers 2-3 Brocton

The Bears Drop the Lead Twice at Coles Lane

Paget Rangers lost the lead twice as Brocton took all three points home with them on a chilly November afternoon.

The Bears got off to a good start opening the scoring in the fourth minute when Nathan Corry latched onto an excellent ball from Craig Evans, before sending the ball flying into the bottom corner.

Brocton allowed the Wee Gers a number of chances to double their lead just moments after conceding the first, but Jem Mills, Ross Dempster, Kory Burke and Evans all failed to take advantage.

As the game progressed the visitors started to get into it and trouble the hosts, a corner in the 12th minute precluded a number of chances for the Badgers to equalise and perhaps they would’ve done so, if it weren’t for the referee failing to give the away side the advantage in the 18th minute when Matthew Kimmins was about to go through on goal.

However, Brocton needn’t have worried as James McGrady sent the ball into the bottom corner to draw level just before the half-hour mark.

Paget almost responded immediately through Corry and then Dempster, indeed both Corry and Dempster would have chances before half-time, but the score remained 1-1.

Brocton almost took the lead early second half when Regan Smith took advantage of a defensive error, but Conal Dowling wasn’t troubled by his effort.

Both sides continued to have chances to take the lead, but it was a Brocton player who would score the third goal of the match when Adam Weldon turned in Corry’s cross for an own goal.

Minutes later Kimmins missed a chance to score an immediate equaliser, sending the ball wide, but 10 minutes later Kimmins would veer dangerously into the box causing Mark Williams to desperately lunge in to prevent the Brocton midfielder a shot on goal, conceding a penalty.

Daniel Lomas stepped up, and sent the ball into the bottom corner levelling the score, despite Dowling guessing the direction correctly.

Only minutes later Brocton took the lead when McGrady doubled his tally, and McGrady almost scored a hat-trick when Kimmins laid the ball off three minutes later but Dowling pushed the ball onto the post.

Just minutes later Corry would hit the post for Paget, before Keiren Nelson was sent off for a studs up challenge.

With five minutes left, and having already scored two in the game a Paget equaliser looked imminent especially with the one-man advantage, but the visitors looked even more dangerous on the counter-attack. Even with the brazen attitude to defending their lead, Brocton held on.